Sara, a Clinical Case Manager, Spring House, Halfway House for Women, Department of Health Services, contributed this to the Fall Recipe Challenge for Bergen County employees.
Congratulations to Sara Kossove!
Ingredients: The Salad
- 1 cup nappa cabbage
- 1/2 cup radicchio (to add some color)
- 2 scallions
- ½ small red onion, minced
- cilantro, a handful
- mint, to taste
- peanuts, your preference, plain, salted or roasted (Crush nuts in zippered plastic bag)
- sesame seed, black and white (adds some visual pleasure)
- 1/2 recipe Peanut Dressing (recipe follows)
Preparation: The Salad
Mix all ingredients from kale to mint. Garnish with peanuts and sesame seed. Pass dressing.
Ingredients: The Dressing
- ¼ cup peanut butter (if you like, mix in tahini, almond butter and/or cashew butter)
- ½ cup peanut oil or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil (if you can find it, use toasted black sesame oil)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (Tamari or low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons honey (or maple syrup, agave, Stevia, brown sugar or molasses)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- spicy peppers, your choice (crushed red cayenne or chilies)
Preparation: The Dressing
Use a blender or a hand blender. The more peanut butter you use, the thicker the dressing, and the dressing will get thicker as it sits for a few minutes. Add water gradually to thin it out.
Use ½ of the recipe to dress the salad and save the other half for other uses. The dressing works well over soba noodles!
Makes approximately 8 servings.
Per Serving (Salad): 22 calories, 3 g fat (0 g sat fat), 4 g carbohydrates, 1 g protein, 17 mg sodium
Per Serving (Dressing): 109 calories, 11 g fat (2 g sat fat), 2 g carbohydrates, 1 g protein, 75 mg sodium